Sunday, March 10, 2013

She Art - Week One

She Art - Breathe

I've felt a bit lost lately.  It's not just that my craft room has been so hot and stuffy this summer, it's also that I feel a lack of purpose and meaning.  I love making cards and I love spending hours colouring, but lately I've been feeling like I need to do something more personal to me, more meaningful. 

While there is definitely an art to making beautifully crafted cards, and the end result still says a lot about my personal taste and style, it speaks very little of my heart and soul.  Since I started studying for my Diploma in Counselling, my heart and soul are bursting with things to say!

I am not sure exactly what led me to discovering "She Art" and Christy Tomlinson's website, but I spent hours pouring over her site and watching her free videos and fell in love.  I signed up to do the She Art One Workshop and I am absolutely thrilled.  The She Art Workshop is a 3 week self guided classroom, with over 25 videos that make you feel like you are right there.

Christy's teaching style is bubbly, vivacious, infectious and entirely motivating.  Of course she makes it look soooo easy, but you are left with the sense that whatever you do on your canvas isn't a mistake, it's art.

So this is my first 'girl'.  There are things about her that I love, and there are things that I don't, but that's ok too.

She Art - Breathe

I love the background, the colours and textures.  I started on a canvas and added a patterned tissue paper then added layers of inks, paints and gesso.  I love the phrase "She made time to just breathe".  I've been working with relaxation techniques, the first of which is just basic breathing, and it's amazing how different you feel when you actually make time to just breathe.

I don't love how wide apart her legs are (she looks like she is riding an invisible horse!), and I don't love the black penwork, but that's ok, I learned a valuable lesson from both of those things.  I don't love how stifled it still feels.  I love how abandoned and loose Christy is with her art, and I am a lot more structured and tight.  But as I play and let go, I imagine I will be less uptight.

She Art - Breathe

I loved making this girl. I totally lost track of the rest of the world and there was just me and the canvas. I love how personal it is, how it really is a little piece of me expressed onto canvas, and I can't wait to make my next one!  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment