Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Life Book 2013 - Game Board

Week 5 Game Board

Hello beautiful :o)  I have been without my camera for almost 3 weeks so I have an artistic explosion waiting to happen!  So using the hilarious words of Mrs Doubtfire... Brace yourself, Effie!

Week 5 of Life Book is with Kelly Hoernig and she challenges us to create an artistic board game.  The lesson takes us through creating the game piece (a figure that represents us), making the game board and creating some accompanying playing cards.

To begin we were asked to choose one word that is our focus word for the year.  I chose a stamp with a bee that has the words "be happy" underneath... I am often so busy that I don't make time to appreciate happiness.  Once I chose that image, the rest of the board seemed quite logical.  I created hexagons for the game board spaces and on four of these I wrote words that I think are essential for being happy.  I used the dictionary definition of these four words to create the playing cards.

The construction was relatively straight forward.  I used an antique bee print from the Graphic Fairy which you can download for free here.  Once that was adhered to the background the layering process began with inks, stamps and paints.  I used my Cricut to cut the hexagons which are adhered with Mod Podge and edged with Distress Ink to give depth.  The playing cards are actual Queens Slipper brand playing cards covered with the same bee print and given texture with stamping.
Week 5 Game Board

I am pretty happy with this although it is maybe a little more monochromatic than I originally imagined but I think it has a lovely, warm vintage feel to it. 

Thanks for looking and have yourselves a gorgeous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment