Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Retro TV Ornament

 



It is never a bad time to make Christmas ornaments! Some exceptions may apply, including natural disasters, active volcanoes, and unexpected dragon encounters.




I recently scored the Bigz Retro TV Die, which has been discontinued, so it was quite the fortuitous find. I was late to the party and so I missed out and have been hunting for one for over a year. A huge shout out to Michelle's Cards and Stamps who must have had some old stock!



The TV frame was cut from 1.5mm box board, I gave every surface a coat of aqua and then for the TV frame a top coat of red that I distressed with sanding paper to show the underneath layer. The knobs and feet were painted black with silver leaf applied and then distressed.



The image is a retro Christmas card, the gorgeous aqua and red on the image became the inspiration for the colour palette. The image is mounted behind a plastic rectangular shaker bubble to create the television dome. The back is cut identically to the front and the two layers are sandwiched together with a handmade wooden 'frame' cut from balsa. To finish I drilled a hole through the middle of the frame and inserted a foam ornament hanger, which could also double as the antenna with a few embellishments.




Every Christmas our family does a crafting project. Last year we made Grinch ornaments, the year before Muppet Christmas Carol. This year we are choosing our favourite Christmas movie and immortalising them in this cute little frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment