I've been creatively adrift for a few years now, mostly because my focus has been elsewhere. The past decade has included obtaining a university degree and PhD. I now work as a lecturer and researcher which takes a lot of my creative energy. For that reason a lot of my crafting has been small, discreet projects such as Christmas ornaments and whenever possible, trying to finish up some incomplete projects.
Last week I was scrolling on YouTube and came across the concept of Solo RPG Journaling. These have been around in the Table Top Roleplaying Game Community (TTRPG) community for a while and I stumbled across a niche variant... solo RPGs written by junk journalers for junk journalers.
It is safe to say I have fallen down the Rabbit Hole and don't wish to be rescued. This amazing little genre provides guided journalling, complete with both writing and crafting prompts.
If you Google 'solo RPG journal free' you will find several resources, however I soon discovered these were mostly intended to be used as creative writing prompts. However, on ETSY, I found a handful of sellers who were offering the hybrid journal/crafting versions. After several hours of browsing I decided to buy the Folklore Forest from https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/ArtfulSafari
The premise is simple, you are the Keeper of a cottage in the middle of the woods that has four regions (based on the suits in a deck of card). Each session/week you draw one card, the number cards give you a direction and a purpose, the suit cards are characters you will meet.
Taken from the instructions: "Each night you draw one playing card. The card tells you where you went and what you found. You write it in your journal, a few lines or a page or whatever it wants to be, and then you make something. Mount the specimen. Tape the edge. Draw the thing badly and label it anyway."
To keep the physical journal true to the RPG and to avoid diarising it too much I will link it to this blog where I will tease out the truth in each tale.
This is my way of passing my story down to my children. Each entry will have a piece of truth woven into it, a piece of me and my life. This is not like writing a biography, this is like writing my own version of Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace. If you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favour and check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment